13 January 2008

I just want my paper that I paid for

I went downstairs to get my paper today and it wasn't there. Hmmm, that's unusual; it's usually delivered about 6:00 AM or so. So I went back inside and found another copy and called the circulation department at The Boston Globe and this is what the recording said:

"In an effort to provide you the most complete New England Patriots playoff coverage, delivery of today's paper will be delayed."

I don't give a rat's ass about the New England Patriots or the playoffs or getting complete coverage of some stupid game. And more importantly, there's a tiny thing I don't understand: either that game was last night, which means the paper has had an eternity in the Newspaper Space-Time Continuum to write about it; or it's today, which means we're not going to get our papers until, what, midnight?

This is just baffling to me. I don't recall the Globe ever delaying delivery so they could provide the most complete Iraq War coverage. Or the most complete anything coverage. Why don't they just deliver the paper and let people who simply must get "complete coverage" turn on the TV? Or the radio, or the computer? I can't replace the information I want to read in the paper by doing any of those things, but everyone else can get "complete coverage" about some dumb entirely-too-important-in-our-warped-society game by turning on their monster-truck-sized TV sets.

No comments: